I was experimenting in my kitchen today with some chicken that I had unthawed. I wanted to try my hand at making my own panko without buying the stuff. It really turned out decent and saved me money. Always, a bonus! I hope you try this out. Totally worth the effort!
Prep time: 45 min Bake time: 1 hour Servings: 5-6 Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup (5-6 strips) bacon, cooked (broken to small pieces)
- 2 cups (8 slices of bread) homemade panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- For homemade panko bread crumbs: Freeze 8 slices of whole wheat bread for 1 hour. Take out of freezer; cut and discard crusts. Cut 8 slices into strips and place into a food processor to make coarse crumbs. Spread the crumbs on a clean cookie sheet (with sides). Sprinkle onion powder and garlic salt. Keep an eye on crumbs and stir/shake at midway point of cooking time, while baking at 300 F degrees (about 10-15 minutes). Do not let crumbs get toasted. Let cool before using. Set aside.
- Cook bacon till crispy, let cool, then break to small pieces. Place in a small dish. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Shred parmesan cheese, and combine with homemade panko bread crumbs on cookie sheet. Drudge chicken breasts in ranch dressing evenly on both sides. (Let marinate for about 5-10 minutes.) Coat chicken breasts in bread crumbs on cookie sheet. Place in a greased 9×13 pan and sprinkle bacon on top with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 1 hour (or until chicken is done and tender).
Enjoy! With all of my recipes I post, I hope you try it and let me know how it turns out!!