Don’t get rid of your chicken bones! What a waste that would be after you just made your family some rotisserie style dinner… If you are like me, you want your money to spread a little more for your family, so why not make some amazing soup with this stuff while keeping your pocket book AND health in check. Not to mention it is just as tasty as any soup (or base of one) can get!! Did you know that homemade chicken stock keeps in the freezer up to 6 months! Totally worth it on my scale. This recipe is an adaptation of Recipe Girl’s.
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 4 hr Yield: 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 (any size) chicken carcass (Don’t waste your time picking ALL the meat off before hand. Take my word for it.)
- 1 large onion, chopped large
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, cut into 4-inches
- 4 carrots, unpeeled, chopped (don’t throw away those ends!)
- 3 sweet peppers, chopped in half
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbs. parsley
- 1 tbs. cilantro
- 1 tbs. rosemary
- 1 tbs. thyme
- 1 tbs. dill
- 4 large cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 tbs. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
1. Place chicken carcass in large stockpot. Add water till submerged. Add all veggies, herbs and seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; continue to simmer uncovered for 4 hours.
2. Strain entire contents of the pot through a fine sieve and discard solids. Pour liquid into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
3. The next day, use a spoon to remove the layer of fat that has solidified on the top of the bowl of stock. You can place in a freezer bag or jar, if you don’t plan on using it within the week.
With all of my recipes I post, I hope you try it and let me know how it turns out!!