If you haven’t figured it out by now… I’m a meat and potatoes kinda gal, so this recipe rings true to my heart! I like that it is very quick to pull together if you are in a bind. Most of the time I have these ingredients on hand.
Cook and Bake time: about 45 minutes Servings: 5-6
- 2 pounds potatoes (Russet, Yukon or red), peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons greek yogurt, plain
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat broiler to high. Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan and sweat onion with meat. Season with salt and pepper. Brown meat for 3 or 4 minutes. (Do not drain fat!) Add chopped carrot to the meat. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Drain potatoes and pour into a large bowl. Add yogurt, egg yolk and cream. Blend with a hand mixer until smooth. To really get the lumps out – use a potato ricer. Set bowl aside.
- In a small pot, over medium heat, add butter and flour. Cook for 1 minute. (Remove from heat.) Whisk in Worcestershire sauce to form a paste for 1 minute. Stir into meat and vegetables until well blended.
- Fill a small (2-2.5 quart) rectangular casserole dish with meat and vegetable mixture. Evenly spoon potatoes over meat. Sprinkle with paprika and cheese. Broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat, until potatoes are golden brown.
Enjoy! With all of my recipes I post, I hope you try it and let me know how it turns out!!